Horse horses

 Looking back through my blog there are some projects missing.


 I am sometimes to overloaded with work to have time to blog. Sometimes I am too busy to document and photograph works in progress and finished. images are quick snaps not in particularly aspirational  or uncluttered spaces.

A couple of pieces I was commissioned to do that I did not post were two life sized horses.

The first went to Somerset for a horse box cafe Mill On The Brue in Bruton. Great coffee BTW.



I welded  the frame in my workshop in Pwlhai in Cardigan Wales and used Black Maul steamed willow to  weave the outer layer. I was a bit of a horse nut as a kid. In fact the love of horses got me in to drawing and  art. One day when I was about 7 my dad asked me and my little brother John what colour horses we would like. We were always obsessing about them. We each chose different colours a black one for me, and John chose brown.  Might have been the other way around. Anyway dad said he had two horses in the back room one for each of us. We ran to find them and when we opened the door on the mantelpiece was a painting of two wild horses rearing up and one was black and one was brown. I was not dissapointed but inspired and they were sort of magical and dream like.  Being able to create images was like a magical gift or trick a super power I wanted to have.

The second horse was all white. It was the steed of Rhiannon for a customer here in Wales.

I really loved making them both and especially the first one which just seemed to come to life. I did put a lot of work into it and manged to get some photos. The white one was a more pressurised commission as soon as it was made it was away and so I do not have any great images to share. It was made in Jersey and was shipped away as soon as it was completed. 

They were £1800 each two years ago.


Comments

Popular Posts